Since its inception in 2004, Nigeria LNG Limited has sponsored The Nigeria Prize for Literature. The prize brings Nigerian authors to the public’s attention and celebrates their excellence. As a result, Nigeria LNG Limited awards the prize to only Nigerian writers. Although initially a $20,000 win, the prize’s monetary reward since has been raised to $100,000 since 2011.
The prize rotates around the four literary genres: prose fiction, poetry, drama, and children’s literature. This year’s competition is for prose fiction.
The 2016 The Nigeria Prize for Literature shortlist includes:
- Chika Unigwe, Night Dancer
- Ogochukwu Promise, Sorrow’s Joy;
- Yejide Kilanko, Daughters Who Walk This Path
- Ifeoma Okoye, The Fourth World
- Sefi Atta, A Bit of Difference
- Abubakar Adam Ibrahim, Season of Crimson Blossoms
- Ifeoluwa Adeniyi, On the Bank of the River
- Elnathan John, Born On A Tuesday
- Aramide Segun, Eniitan Daughter of Destiny
- Maryam Awaisu, Burning Bright
- Mansim Chumah Okafor, The Parable of the Lost Shepherds.
Nigeria LNG Limited will release a shortlist of three authors in September. Wherein the winner, if any, will be announced in October.