A South African literary magazine founded by four University of Cape Town graduates, featuring long form non-fiction, fiction, poetry, photography and illustration. It calls itself simply “a magazine of writing,” believing in the pursuit of “damn fine writing” and a “means to put it in its place.”
- Accepts work from writers of any background, nationality and/or residence.
- Accepts work in any South African language.
- Maximum word counts are 6000 words for pieces of fiction, and 8000 words for non-fiction. Minimum word counts for both genres is 300 words.
- Send up to three poems of any length at a time.
- Prefers to receive original work, i.e. work that has not been published before. If your work has been published before, please indicate how, where and when in your cover letter.
- Happy to publish excerpts from books, scripts, etc. Please indicate whether your submission is an excerpt in your cover letter.
- Similarly, translations are welcome, as long as the source text and author is credited.
Submit: long form creative nonfiction, short fiction, poetry. Check website to find out submissions periods.