The Wide Margin is a new digital collection of essays, articles and illustrations which focus on discussion and critical thought about social, economic, political and cultural issues through a feminist lens. The Wide Margin intends to advance contemporary critical thought in Kenya, East Africa and Africa in an accessible way that is open, inclusive, imaginative and daring.
The Wide Margin accepts pitches for essays, articles, and visual material. Materials have to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Pitches should be accompanied by the name of the author and the title of the pitch in the email.
The Wide Margin currently DOES NOT publish fiction.
Some of the topics we are looking for include (but are not limited to):
- The black African body and identity
- Body policing and body shaming
- Body image
- Violence against black African bodies
- Sex, health (including menstruation)
- The black African body and/in art
- Black African bodies and labour
- The black African body and/in pop culture
- Body binaries and limitations thereof
- Celebrating black African bodies
Submit: essays, articles and illustrations